Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Dec 2009 18:23:19 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Slightly OT: Graphic of Unemployment in the United States
Comments: To: Jonathan Goldberg <jgoldberg@BIOMEDSYS.COM>

Jonathan,

I was quite willing to leave this with agreeing to disagree, but you can't "complete disagree" with my statement that I find something confusing.

I don't know if I saw the map in its original colors, I looked at the version found at: http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/229-vital- statistics-of-a-deadly-campaign-the-minard-map/

or, in short form: http://xrl.us/bgeyxz

But, even though both Wainer and Tufte had high accolades for that map, I still have high doubts that the general public would take the time to understand what it contains. Since my own audience is the general public, again, I wouldn't use the technique as I find that including too much information defeats the purpose of conveying or supporting an idea.