Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:08:19 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Savian <savian.net@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: GUID Generation
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

On Dec 17, 12:01 pm, zrab...@COMCAST.NET (Ken Barz) wrote: > I've been working on a data migration project in which all of the key values are generated like so: > > 7A33B167-E1CR-4221-A83-155CB78C0C48 > > which resembles a MAC address for hardware, but is generated by some application to be a unique key. That's all fine and I'll just copy all of it for the reams of data that was generated by the application. However, in doing the migration, I have to provide the contractor with other data that was captured manually and doesn't have (but does need) keys like that above. So, the shot in the dark question I have is: does anyone recognize this as a known format that I can generate (via SAS?) and guarantee to be a unique identifier for the data that needs to be added? > > Thanks, > Ken

Also, from a birdie:

See:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/62618/HTML/default/a002505764.htm

There is a possibility that the GUID will not be unique on some hosts. If this is the case, a warning will be printed to the log, providing you don't specify any arguments.

Alan http://www.savian.net