Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:37:37 -0600
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Steve Simon, P.Mean Consulting" <net@pmean.com>
Subject:   Re: [APA] query about online texts

Wittig, Michele wrote:

> I'm away from most of my books for 6 months and am wondering if > members of this list can recommend some good, free, online statistical > "textbooks."

I'm looking forward to the day when I can carry all of my statistics books on my Kindle, but that won't happen anytime soon. For what it's worth, the Kindle is very nice, but most of the books for it are not free.

With a free textbook, you get what you pay for, of course. A notable exception is the Engineering Statistics Handbook. It is free because it was developed by government employees. www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/index.htm

Some authors have also negotiated an agreement with their publisher to make a textbook freely available once it has been out of print for a while. An example of this is "Applications, Basics, and Computing of Exploratory Data Analysis" by Velleman and Hoaglin.

http://hdl.handle.net/1813/78

There was also an effort to develop a statistics textbook for the typical introductory college class using a collaborative effort and an open source license, but I can't find the details of this project. -- Steve Simon, Standard Disclaimer "The first three steps in a descriptive data analysis, with examples in PASW/SPSS" Thursday, January 21, 2010, 11am-noon, CST. Details at www.pmean.com/webinars