Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:27:55 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         dadrivr <dadrivr@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Restructuring Cases into Variables

Hi all. Really need help here. My data set is structured like this:

coder rating 1 ## 1 ## 1 ## 2 ## 2 ## 2 ##

I need the data file to be structured like this:

coder 1 coder 2 ## ## ## ## ## ##

I have tried restructuring using Cases to Variables, but I get the following error: "The INDEX values for case 2 have occurred before in the cases with the same ID values."

I assume the error is because some of the lines are duplicates (both coder gives many ratings to each of a large number of people). Here is the syntax I am using:

SORT CASES BY coder rating. CASESTOVARS /ID=rating /INDEX=coder /GROUPBY=INDEX.