Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2010, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jan 2010 07:22:14 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Savian <savian.net@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: question about "original purpose" of macros
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

On Jan 14, 3:09 pm, jclguy <vogelman...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Somewhere along the line, I remember someone telling me that the > original(intended) purpose of sas macros was to provide (advanced or > sophisticated) sas code to end users. Hopefully this was not > apocryphal. > > TIA.

Keep in mind also that the SAS macro language is merely a tool for automatic code creation. Very useful but there are also other means of generating SAS code. I have used C#, Javascript, data step, and a great tool called CodeSmith. I even wrote a paper on how to generate SAS in non-SAS languages. The bottom-line, and why I wrote the paper, is that macros have to be understood for what they are. If you code SAS in something like CodeSmith, I think it helps with the understanding of what the macro language does and makes you a better SAS programmer.

Alan http://www.savian.net