Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:43:39 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>
Subject:      Re: Programming help

Manoj,

Read up on the Varstocases command in the syntax reference. I haven't used varstocases for a while and I may have some bits wrong. That said, I would start with this syntax.

Varstocases /make member from Memno$01 Memno$02 Memno$03 ... Memno$25/ make age from age$01 age$02 age$03 ... age$25/ make sex from sex$01 sex$02 sex$03 ... sex$25/ make education from education$01 education$02 education$03 ... education$25/ drop=totmem/null=drop.

Two issues for you to decide about are 1) whether to keep or drop totmem and 2) whether you want to create records for nonexistant members. Null=drop is the default, which will give you as many records per case as there are members in the group. I have always used varstocases with datasets that are structured as memno$01 to memno$25, age$01 to age$25. As a result my make statements are simply, for example, make age=age$01 to age$01.

As I read the documentation, a list of variables should work as well.

Gene Maguin

>>I have one spss data set that contains limit of family members up to 25 members in household organized in following fashion.

IDvariables TotMem Memno$01 Age$01 Sex$01 Education$01 Memno$02 Age$02 Sex$02 Education$02 . .up to Memno$25 Whatever 1 what ever the data is 2 what ever the data is 25

This is one household data and exists in one row and data is filled up to based on TotMem variable ,suppose Totmem =6 then data is only upto Mem$06 and that will have value 6 and all rest from Memno$07 to Mem$25 will be blank. What is want is, all Members information should come in different rows, because all these variables age,sex,education have the same attributes.

I want in just like below.

IDvariable MemNo. Age Sex Education IDvariable 1 what ever the data is IDvariable 2 what ever the data is .........up to 25