Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:08:46 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alan Churchill <alan.churchill@SAVIAN.NET>
Subject:      Re: dsread - Windows command-line utility for SAS7BDAT files
Comments: To: xlr82sas <xlr82sas@AOL.COM>

In order to support formats, you need support for the actual format, not just writing/reading a string. Hence, if hex16. Is needed, a routine for supporting an input or output of hex16 has to be created.

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net Office: (719) 687-5954 Cell: (719) 310-4870

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of xlr82sas Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:15 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: dsread - Windows command-line utility for SAS7BDAT files

On Feb 25, 10:43 am, xlr82sas <xlr82...@aol.com> wrote: > On Feb 25, 6:45 am, ChrisBLong <ch...@oview.co.uk> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Readers of this group may be interested in dsread, available athttp://www.oview.co.uk/dsread > > > It's a command-line utility that understands the SAS7BDAT file > > format. It lets you examine the structure of datasets conveniently > > from the command-line, and converts SAS7BDAT data into valid CSV > > format for import into other software. > > > All comments and suggestions gratefully received, > > > Chris. > > Hi Chris, > > Congratulations for reading SAS datasets. WPS has powerfull > capabilities. Thanks!!! Competition is great. > > Even though you only create csv's, I see this as a great product > because you do not need SAS and with pipes users can programtically > get at SAS data from other languages. Also CSVs are also very amenable > to EXCEL. > > ========================================================================== =================================================== > > Just some thoughts: > > Any chance you could create a lossless output format, like SAS > export datasets, but allow for longer names and > character values greater than 200 bytes. This would open up SAS > datasets to other languages. The format would have to be open. > > This could be a really big deal, if instead of a csv, you created R > dataframes, if called from R. An even bigger deal would be if you > created a SAS dataset from an R dataframe. > > XML would be another nice output. > > A silient ODBC would also be great. > > I bet you can use pipes whith yow command line interface.

My apologies.

I assumed your site was somehow affiliated with WPS. It looks like it may not be.

Which makes what you have done all the more remarkable.

I was hoping you honored formats because I wanted to associate hex16 with the numeric columns so I could create a lossless csv, but it did not work.