Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2010, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:06:55 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Alan Churchill <alan.churchill@SAVIAN.NET>
Subject:   Re: dsread - Windows command-line utility for SAS7BDAT files
Comments:   To: xlr82sas <xlr82sas@AOL.COM>

Again, piping is easy. I'll try and toss something together this weekend and pipe delimited, Excel, and XML.

I am a bit unclear on what it is you need. If I dump the data to a delimited file, for example, I treat the values as doubles (do not print hex representation) so you should have better representation anyway. You can always convert them as needed.

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net Office: (719) 687-5954 Cell: (719) 310-4870

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of xlr82sas Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:43 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: dsread - Windows command-line utility for SAS7BDAT files

Hi Alan and Chis

What interests me is communications with open source products, like R, perl and MySQL. Export and import needs to be lossless. My understanding is that SAS -ODBC/OleDB... requires you to bring up SAS(ODBC server) and the server has to be closed manually. I feel this is unsatisfactory. The crux of the issue is IEEE floating point. I think HEX16. would be lossless, all I have to in R is convert the character hex16. to floating point. The nice thing about dsread is it is light, fast and you do not need SAS and it looks like it supports pipes.

On Feb 25, 12:15 pm, xlr82sas <xlr82...@aol.com> wrote: > On Feb 25, 10:43 am, xlr82sas <xlr82...@aol.com> wrote: > > > > > > > On Feb 25, 6:45 am, ChrisBLong <ch...@oview.co.uk> wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > Readers of this group may be interested in dsread, available athttp://www.oview.co.uk/dsread > > > > It's a command-line utility that understands the SAS7BDAT file > > > format. It lets you examine the structure of datasets conveniently > > > from the command-line, and converts SAS7BDAT data into valid CSV > > > format for import into other software. > > > > All comments and suggestions gratefully received, > > > > Chris. > > > Hi Chris, > > > Congratulations for reading SAS datasets. WPS has powerfull > > capabilities. Thanks!!! Competition is great. > > > Even though you only create csv's, I see this as a great product > > because you do not need SAS and with pipes users can programtically > > get at SAS data from other languages. Also CSVs are also very amenable > > to EXCEL. > > > ========================================================================== =================================================== > > > Just some thoughts: > > > Any chance you could create a lossless output format, like SAS > > export datasets, but allow for longer names and > > character values greater than 200 bytes. This would open up SAS > > datasets to other languages. The format would have to be open. > > > This could be a really big deal, if instead of a csv, you created R > > dataframes, if called from R. An even bigger deal would be if you > > created a SAS dataset from an R dataframe. > > > XML would be another nice output. > > > A silient ODBC would also be great. > > > I bet you can use pipes whith yow command line interface. > > My apologies. > > I assumed your site was somehow affiliated with WPS. > It looks like it may not be. > > Which makes what you have done all the more remarkable. > > I was hoping you honored formats because I wanted to associate hex16 > with the numeric columns so I could create a lossless csv, but it did > not work.- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -