Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:18:08 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mike Palij <mp26@nyu.edu>
Subject:      Re: One String Variable into Many Binary Variables
Comments: To: Joseph Schneider <jschneider5@EARTHLINK.NET>

You need to be more specific about certain things. For example are whether all of the Name variables left-justified, that is, every name starts in the first place/space. If so, consider the following:

STRING test_A, test_B, test_C (a1)

compute test_A=nameA. compute test_B=nameB. compute test_C=nameC.

*Note: The test variables are one character long while the name *variables are some arbitrary length. Setting test = name means *that only the first position of name is inserted into test -- the *rest of the name variable is right trimmed; someone correct *me if this has changed.

compute Dichot_1=0. compute Dichot_2=0. compute Dichot_3=0.

if(test_A ne " ")Dichot_1=1. if(test_B ne " ")Dichot_2=1. if(test_C ne " ")Dichot_3=1.

Desc var=Dichot_1, Dichot_2, Dichot_3.

The means from the Descriptives procedure will tell you how many names you have (or how many name fields without initial blanks).

There may be simpler or more elegant ways of doing this. Also this is based on knowledge of how some old SPSS operations should procedure.

-Mike Palij New York University mp26@nyu.edu

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Schneider" <jschneider5@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 10:47 AM Subject: One String Variable into Many Binary Variables