Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:14:03 -0800
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   J P <jp7837@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: SPSS vs Statistca

I work in a SPSS / Statistica office, IMHO Statistica is not the software of choice for any serious analyst. As the previous poster pointed out, precision is a moot point. I've used SPSS for over 15 years and while there is the occasional bug there has been no major issue regarding precision of results with any major software package, SPSS included, that I am aware of.   While Statistica may be easy to use, if you define easy to use as point and click, the seemingly endless array of point-and-click menus becomes a liability after a point because the sheer number of options etc that need to be clicked becomes very confusing and makes it difficult to replicate a procedure or analysis. Which leads to the primary shortcoming with Statistica: there is no syntax option. Thus there is no way to build audit trails to document complex analyses. I've never worked in a shop that relied on point and click software because it is imperative to document / replicate work. Not to mention syntax greatly simplifies repetitive tasks and often enables a degree of customization not available through menus. Also, I have found that Statistica does not play nicely with other software, i.e., moving data into or out of Statistica often results in scrambled variable names / labels / value labels / variable types etc.. Finally, I have found data management in Statistica (merging files, sub setting cases, etc.) to be unusually difficult relative to SPSS (or SAS or SQL).   Statistica is probably OK for teaching statistics because you can eliminate the layer of confusion that can result from the simultaneous teaching syntax and statistics. But for professional work I would choose almost anything but Statistica. Obviously this is all based on my personal experiences, perhaps others have had better.      ________________________________ From: "Steve Simon, P.Mean Consulting" <net@pmean.com> To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Sat, March 6, 2010 10:49:24 PM Subject: Re: SPSS vs Statistca Gonzales, Dana L wrote: > I wonder if anyone on the list can provide an opinion on the > differences of SPSS and Statistca. I have a learner who wants to use > Statistca stating that is it a much better option that SPSS because > it is more accurate. I can't seem to locate any information to > support this view. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure you'll get unbiased opinions from people who subscribe to this list. But perhaps some of the opinions offered might still be helpful. Here are my thoughts: More accurate is a surprising choice of words. If this person means numerical accuracy, that's pretty much a non-issue for most problems as all professional computer programs have ditched single precision and avoided the lousy algorithms. It's best not to mention Microsoft Excel at this point. That doesn't mean that you can't trip up one of these programs with a tricky data set, but in general, accuracy is not a serious concern. Several years ago, Statistica had a very aggressive advertising campaign that cast aspersions on many of its competitors. I think that there was also some pushback from people like Leland Wilkinson that held the claims to be unfair and unsupported. I wonder if this person has some residual memory of this campaign. If "accuracy" means something other than numerical accuracy, then you need to define what this really means. I could make some guesses, but that's dangerous. I would discourage a comparison of two statistical packages based on accuracy. The criteria that make more sense are: (1) ease of use, and (2) availability of advanced procedures. I have no experience with Statistica, but I'd be surprised based on what I have read about the program, that it would be considered vastly superior in either category. -- Steve Simon, Standard disclaimer. Looking for new friends/connections on Facebook and LinkedIn www.facebook.com/pmean, www.linkedin.com/in/pmean or become a fan of my newsletter, The Monthly Mean http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=302778306676 ===================== To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the command. To leave the list, send the command SIGNOFF SPSSX-L For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command INFO REFCARD

[text/html]