Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2010, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Mar 2010 05:54:23 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jose <lozanoje@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Reading XML files
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hello:

This is the first time I have to face importing an XML file, and I am a little lost. I've read some docs, and when I think I've found out how to do it, I've encountered a problem that I cannot solve.

The original XML file is a rectangular dataset (3 levels), which basically means it has a "simple table" estructure.

I use the SAS XML Mapper to map the original XML to a SAS table. I've managed to import several fields with no problem, but then, I've found some fields/colums in the original XML file with the exact same name:

*** START: EXAMPLE XML CODE ****

<code_main>874 </code_main> <code_secondary>455 </code_secondary> <code_secondary>342.3 </code_secondary> <code_secondary>456 </ code_secondary> <code_secondary>305.1 </code_secondary> <code_secondary>456.4</code_secondary> <code_secondary/> <code_secondary/> <code_secondary/> <code_secondary/> <code_secondary/ > <code_secondary/> <code_secondary/> <code_secondary/>

*** END: EXAMPLE XML CODE ****

So, in the original XML file, there are 13 equally named "code_secondary" fields.

I've mapped them to columns CS1, CS2, CS3, CS4,... , CS13, but when I import the data, it only read the LAST <code_secondary> and place it in all the CS1... CS13 columns.

In the example xml code, SAS reads only the value 456.4 and then fills CS1=456.4, CS2=456.4, CS3=456.4,...,CS13=456.4.

I fear the program gets confused when pointing the original xml file for code_secondary, but, Is there any way to walk around with this problem?

Thanks in advance, Jose Lozano