Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 14 May 2010 10:14:54 EDT
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Marija Norusis <Marijaspss@aol.com>
Subject:   Re: computing new variable based on percentiles
Comments:   To: johnfhall@orange.fr

From the Transform Menu select Rank Cases then click on Rank Types. You can create all sorts of groupings based on the ranks or you can select Ntiles to create equal sized groups. Marija Norusis _www.norusis.com_ (http://www.norusis.com) In a message dated 5/13/2010 4:44:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time, johnfhall@orange.fr writes:

so you need to run something like: freq testscore . check the cumulative % column in your table and decide on your cutting points, then; recode testscore (0 thru ? = 1)(? thru ? =2)(? thru ? = 3) etc etc (else = sysmis) into testscoregrp. freq testscoregrp. Crude for perfectionists, but it works and saves your (and your funders') time and finger-nails. If you don't understand syntax, let me know and I'll send you a worked example. It takes forever with the menus. It's the only use I can find for the otherwise pointless default output column Cumulative Percent (which has been there since the year dot, ie 1972 when I first used SPSS)

John Hall

----- Original Message ----- From: _FernandezLanier, Adriana (DCJS)_ (mailto:Adriana.FernandezLanier@dcjs.state.ny.us) To: _SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU_ (mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU) Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:42 PM Subject: computing new variable based on percentiles

Good afternoon. I hope my question makes sense. I was told that there is a function in SPSS that will compute a new variable based on designated percentiles (e.g., 25th, 75th). For example, I have a variable called “test score” and I want to collapse/recode it into a variable that reflects low, medium, and high (based on percentiles). I have searched but have not come across any SPSS function that will compute a new variable. Any thoughts? Thanks P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

____________________________________ This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.

[text/html]