Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 May 2010 04:35:17 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Bruce Weaver <bruce.weaver@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Appropriate test for measurements repeated at two levels

Your measurements are nested within time periods, and time periods are nested within subjects. So you could run a multilevel model (via MIXED). With this approach, there is no need to have equal numbers of measurements per time period (or time periods per subject), as there would be for repeated measures ANOVA. The book by Singer & Willett is very helpful, and most of their examples are demonstrated on the UCLA Computing website:

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/examples/alda.htm

HTH.

Richard Devey wrote: > > I have a dataset containing heart rate measurements for two groups of > subjects over four time periods. I need to assess if there are differences > in heart rate between groups and over time. If I had one measurement per > time period I could use repeated measures or the friedman test. The > complication is that within each time period the subjects' heart rate is > measured at intervals as resistance is increased. The number of > measurements within the given time period can differ depending on the > fitness of the subject e.g. subject 1 might have five heart rate > measurements with increasing resistance while subject 2, fitter than > subject 1, might have ten measurements. I could take a mean of these > measurements to get one value per time period and proceed with repeated > measures analysis. However, I'd be interested to know if there is a test > which can take into account (1) the two groups (2) the four time periods > and (3) the multiple measures of heart rate within each of the four time > periods. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. > > Richard Devey > University of Johannesburg > South Africa > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > >

----- -- Bruce Weaver bweaver@lakeheadu.ca http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/ "When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above. -- View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/Appropriate-test-for-measurements-repeated-at-two-levels-tp28704119p28705676.html Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.