Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 May 2010 13:05:31 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         oloolo <dynamicpanel@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday OT: Computer Transitions
Comments: To: Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET>

Art as a matter of fact, I am trying my best to implement some useful data mining algorithms in SAS, using only SAS/Base and /STAT if possible. I think this is where we can do our part, but that's do no good to SAS's business model. Suppose some users is able to provide good enough alternative to EM... But as you know, it is much more difficult to implement these algorithms in SAS than using functional programming languages. I think one work around is to use JavaObj to move data between SAS/Base and Java and use Java to implement the algorithms. This is indeed for hardcore coders. Another way is let SAS to incorporate /IML into SAS/Base and provide better support for this product [to be frankly, I think the fact that they provide seamless interface in /IMLStudio to R means they admit /IML is defeated by R]