Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 May 2010 17:57:51 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Michael L. Davis" <michael@BASSETTCONSULTING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday OT: Computer Transitions

Hello Friends,

What Phil Rack stumbled across is that when SAS does demos and "SAS Presents" presentations, they don't make it into the proceedings, and hence, into the Lex Jansen site.

Another way to look at the situation is that what *didn't* happen is that someone (SAS employee or someone not affiliated with SAS) started using the R to SAS/IML Studio interface and found it interesting enough to submit a paper for presentation at SGF.

I pretty much stick with SAS in my current job but might start using R for exploratory graphics in the future. The only thing to note is if I do, it is not likely to generate a SGF paper because it wouldn't be SAS-related.

Best wishes,

Michael Davis

At 04:28 PM 5/1/2010 -0400, you wrote: >Dear SAS-L-ers, > >Phil Rack posted the following: > > > I don't know if adding R to SAS/IML Studio means that SAS admits defeat > > on > > the IML product. It might just be easier to embrace R instead of > > ignoring > > it. > > > > Which leads to this observation. I was out searching Lex Jansen's > > excellent > > site for any papers from the last SGF that discussed using R from > > inside > > SAS/IML Studio and didn't find anything. Could be my search abilities > > but I > > thought that there would have been something along those lines. > > > > As others have pointed out to me, it's one thing to offer it, but quite > > another to encourage its use. > > >Phil, I see that Art got you a good reference for an SGF paper. At SGF >2010, there was also a SAS super demo titled: R U There? An Interface to >the R Language in SAS/IML(r) Studio: > >http://sgf2010.confnav.com/sgf2010/web/sessions/detail.html?id=20100219005316593095000000 > >...I happened to see it at WUSS 2010 and was impressed--and I am not even >a stats guy! > >Also, just in case you missed this link on the SAS Institute web site, >check out: > >http://support.sas.com/rnd/app/studio/Rinterface2.html > >...which, in turn, has a nice link to additional documentation on calling R. > > >Phil, best of luck in all your SAS endeavors! > > >Take Care! > >----MMMMIIIIKKKKEEEE >(aka Michael A. Raithel)

Michael L. Davis Ambler PA E-Mail: michael.davis@alumni.duke.edu