Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 2010 22:14:51 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Nat Wooding <nathani@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Fw: I gave this talk on April 21, 2010 at NCSU.
Comments: To: "sasconsulting.google.com" <sasconsulting@googlegroups.com>

Recently, I received a note from Tony Barr who was the developer who started the SAS project at NCSU. As the subject implies, he recently gave a lecture at NCSU in which he recounts how he came to be hired as the initial developer and how some of the very basic features of what we call SAS came into existence. For one thing, he tells of how Barry Merrill was an early user and would often call up and ask for whacko informats and other features that would help him read the system records of mainframes. I had long suspected that Dr. Merrill had had such an influence and how this has given us such a robust ability to parse input files.

Tony's link and address is below my sig.

One caution: when I first tried to view the video, something did not work properly. However, when I tried later, it worked well.

Nat Wooding

(Art T. I am posting this to UGA. If you don't see it "on the other side", could you forward it, please. Thanks. Nat)

http://www.barrsystems.com/includes_content/about_us/the_company/SASBEGINNINGS/PlayVideo.html

Tony Barr, President, Barr Systems, Inc. barrsystems.com 352-491-3100