Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 12 May 2010 10:58:24 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Data _null_;" <iebupdte@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Data import from Excel
Comments:   To: "Mark S." <marksmolkin@gmail.com>

Does EXCEL really think the field is a date? That is has EXCEL converted the value to "excel date"?

On 5/12/10, Mark S. <marksmolkin@gmail.com> wrote: > Every so often I encounter a problem reading in a date field from Excel into > SAS using proc import, in that it makes the date a character field. The > problem is solved by going through each cell of the date field in the Excel > file and both adding then immediately removing a manufactured blank space. > After this is done for all cells in the field, I can read it into SAS OK as > numeric. Note that there are no blank spaces in the field initially that are > the cause of the problem, and this is not the result of guessingrows or other > option being necessary. Any ideas what the cause might be and a quicker > solution? THanks! > > Mark >