Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 20 May 2010 09:43:55 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   that statsguy <thatstatsguy@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Concatenating 2 numerics

This is a question more out of curiosity than necessity, but if I use the || operator on 2 numeric variables, I get a character variable of length 24. Where does the 24 come from?

data test; input var1 var2 $ var3; cards; 1 a 10 2 a 9 3 b 8 4 b 7 4 c 6 4 c 5 4 c 4 ; run;

data test; set test; var4=var1||var3; var5=cats(var1,var3); run;

proc contents data=test; run;

Alphabetic List of Variables and Attributes # Variable Type Len 1 var1 Num 8 2 var2 Char 8 3 var3 Num 8 4 var4 Char 24 5 var5 Char 200

var5 has a length of 200, which is what I expected, but var4 has a length of 24.

Thanks!