Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:36:02 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>
Subject:      Re: three way interaction vs separate analysis with 2 way
              interactione

Ann,

>>the dichot. moderator is gender, so i just split the sample and calculated the 2 way interactions for men and women seperately.

>>my assumption was that if i for example get a sign. interaction for men but not for women, that i can claim that there is a gender difference.

Gene: You can claim it but as a reviewer I don't think I'd accept it. For instance, suppose the two-way interaction coefficient was -.03 (se=.06) for men and +.03 (se=.07) for women. Neither is significant and the signs are different. I wouldn't believe that women and differ.

>>but as i understand you two, you both would recommend a three way interaction model.

>>gene you wrote the following 'These two equation sets are apples and oranges. The answer to what to do has nothing to do with statistics. The correct answer is determined by the question you want an answer to. '

>>can you give an example when you would go for split sample with 2 way interactions. thanks for your helpful input!

Gene: Not offhand. But, I'd bet that if you stated your hypothesis or question, it would imply a three way interaction.

Gene Maguin