Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:11:04 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ryan Black <ryan.andrew.black@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: linear mixed commands for growth curve

William,

While I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are asking, I might be able to help get you started.

I assume that your data set is structured as follows:

ID Trial Time Y 1 1 1 23 1 1 2 13 1 1 3 10 . . 1 2 1 12 1 2 2 10 1 2 3 4 . . 2 1 1 8 2 1 2 12 2 1 3 10 . . 2 2 1 7 2 2 2 8 2 2 3 10 . . 3 1 1 22 3 1 2 15 3 1 3 9 . . 3 2 1 21 3 2 2 10 3. 2 3 6 . .

The design I have presented above may not be entirely accurate, but this is my best guess for the moment. Anyway, if you were to treat "Trial" and "Time" as categorical variables, this might be one acceptable parameterization employing the MIXED procedure.

MIXED Y BY Trial Time /FIXED=Trial Time Trial*Time | SSTYPE(3) /METHOD=REML /PRINT=SOLUTION /RANDOM= INT | SUBJECT(ID*Trial) TYPE=VC /REPEATED=Time | SUBJECT(ID*Trial) COVTYPE(AR1).

The RANDOM statement allows for different within-subject correlations between trials. The REPEATED statement assumes residuals obtained from within-subject observations close in time for trial x are more highly correlated than residuals obtained from within-subject observations distant in time for trial x.

Now, suppose we want to test if there is a difference in linear trends over time between trials. If we assume there are five time points, then we could write the following TEST statement:

/TEST = 'Linear Trend Contrast' Trial*Time -2 -1 0 1 2 2 1 0 -1 -2

Let's say we wanted to test if the mean change from time 1 to time 2 was significantly different between trials, then the TEST statement would be:

/TEST = 'Difference in Mean Change Contrast' Trial*Time -1 1 0 0 0 1 -1 0 0 0

Now, you did mention that you were interested in setting up a "Quadratic" model. You should be able to take what I've presented and build more complex models, if that is what you desire. For instance, if you wanted to add a quadratic effect of time on Y, then you would treat time as a continuous variable and incorporate time^2 into the model.

It's important to note that I have not encountered this type of model in my own work. Also, I have not tried to test a linear trend contrast using the TEST statement. I assume what I've written should work. Take what I've stated with a grain of salt, and of course, please do write back if you think I've made an error somewhere along the way.

Best,

Ryan

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM, William Dudley <wndudley@uncg.edu> wrote: > > > I need some help in setting up a linear mixed model to estimate individual > growth curves > in a doubly nested model in which subjects are observed across > five TRIALS and within each TRIAL they are observed at several TIME > points. > > Thus if I estimate quadratic model, each individual will have > 5 INTERCEPTS, 5 SLOPES and 5 QUADRATIC parameters. > > Second I need to export these parameters for further analyses. > Thus I need new SPSS file with five variables, > ID, TRIAL, INTERCEPT, SLOPE, QUAD. > I wonder if anyone has code for this type of analysis that they would be > willing to share ? > > > Thanks in advance. > > > -- > William N. Dudley, PhD > Associate Dean for Research > The School of Health and Human Performance Office of Research > The University of North Carolina at Greensboro > 126 HHP Building, PO Box 26170 > Greensboro, NC 27402-6170 > VOICE 336.2562475 > FAX 336.334.3238 >