Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:13:31 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: PDF file size in SAS 9.2

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Vijay posted the following:

> We create PDF files using SAS and burn them on a DVD. > Earlier with SAS 9.1.3, the files used to fit in a DVD. Now we upgraded > to > SAS 9.2 and the each individual file has become 3 times larger and > hence > does not fit into a DVD. I tried using different fonts, compress > option, no > table of contents and other things to reduce the file size, but nothing > worked. The nofontembedding option does reduce the file size > dramatically > but when I open the pdf on a computer which does not have SAS, I just > see > bunch of dots. It does look ok on my machine which has SAS. > > > I did ask SAS support and they asked me to change the registry setting > in > the following path.(Specifically the version registry key to 3) > CORE\PRINTING\PRINTERS\PDF\ADVANCED > This change also did not reduce the file size. > > Any ideas how to reduce the file size? > Vijay, ahhh, welcome to the BIG GOTCHA of using ODS in SAS 9.2!!!!!!! We were shocked and dismayed here at SAS Mecca when our first group of 9.2 early adopters ran into this very problem:-( We worked extensively with SAS Technical Support before finding our way free and clear of this entanglement.

The problem and a solution are offered in the following two SAS Technical Support notes:

SAS Support Usage Note 34277 http://support.sas.com/kb/34/277.html

SAS Support Usage Note 31474 http://support.SAS.com/kb/31/474.html

The first note discusses the NOFONTEMBEDDING option, which you should definitely use. It will buy you some space reduction.

The second note discusses the font issue. SAS now uses the Thorndale AMT font as the default font for PDF's instead of Times. So, when you create a PDF and give it to somebody who does not have Thorndale AMT on his/her desktop... KABLOOIE!!!!! So, it is better to override the Thorndale AMT font with some other font that everybody and his sister is likely to have such as Times or Courier. Consider using the example under the Full Code tab on Usage Note 31474 to create the Styles.myPrinter style and use that in your SAS programs.

These strategies got us over the hump on this vexing, unexpected, spiteful, aggravating, coming from left field, unwanted, unwarranted, hurtful, demoralizing problem!

Vijay, best of luck in all your SAS endeavors!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com