Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 2010 02:07:14 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Søren Lassen <s.lassen@POST.TELE.DK>
Subject:      Re: Is LEAVE "non-structured"?

I think that "is leave non-structured" is a rather futile question. As far as I know, it is not part of what was originally considered structured programming. Leave was added later as it was proved (matematically) that you cannot always program the most efficient algorithms without a way of escaping loops. As SAS (and most other programming languages) do not have a statement for escaping more than one level of looping, gotos are sometimes necessary to do that.

My priorities when programming is normally maintainability first and then efficiency. Adhering to the rules of "structured programming" is nowhere on my list, except what well-structured programs are easier to understand and thus to maintain. Very often, I find that programs using leave (and the occasional goto) are more terse, simpler, and easier to read and understand than strictly "structured" programs - and they are also more efficient.

Regards, Søren