Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2010, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Aug 2010 22:48:49 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Annamaria Rousey <ademars@USC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: What do we have to do to SAVE SAS-L
Comments: To: Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET>

Personally, I am sure that I see more specialized questions on SAS-L now compared to when I began reading it MANY years ago. I think that is a function of the good information available through an enormous number of papers from SGF and all the regional conferences. Also, many blogs regularly post information on SAS, both blogs by users and from SAS Institute.

And twitter is another resources for short quick questions, e.g.

Are If and Where the same thing? Ans. No

I think the fewer basic questions are attributable to most people now being in the habit of using Google as a first step to find something and, for the reason above, there being more information now available to find. Usually, my first two steps would be : 1. Google and 2. Search SAS-L archives

If I find the answer in SAS-L archives, I can avoid wasting people's time by asking it again. Yes, over two decades, a whole lot of questions have already been answered.

When I was a relatively new SAS programmer, I read SAS-L daily just to learn. I don't see as many basic questions these days. (Unrelated note - the archives only go back to 1996 - I SWEAR I remember reading SAS-L when i was in graduate school - and I graduated in 1990. I had to read it on some funky black and green terminal in the computer lab - HOME Internet - that's crazy talk! - but SAS-L did exist.) These days I mostly glance at the posts once or twice a day if I have time and read any that look interesting. Yes, I'm a lurker for decades, or is that a peeping Tom? I feel such guilt.

I would hate to see SAS-L go away because it is such a great resource for new and experienced users alike.

ANNMARIA DE MARS, PH.D. Senior Statistical Consultant University of Southern California Information Technology Services Customer Support Center (213) 740 - 2840

----- Original Message ----- From: Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET> Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:46 pm Subject: What do we have to do to SAVE SAS-L To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU