Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:37:05 -0700
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Bruce Weaver <bruce.weaver@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Multiple Imputation - Negative Values

Gene Maguin wrote: > > Negative or otherwise out of range values, e.g., an imputed value of 6.34 > or > 3.33 for a 1 to 5 likert type variable are certainly possible because of > the > underlying generating process. The question is what to with them. John > Graham who wrote an early piece of software was one of the early > practicioners of MI. I believe John has written about this issue. Another > person to check out is Joe Schafer who wrote a key book on MI and > developed > more software. (Let me add that in naming these two, i intend no slight to > Donald Rubin). > > Gene Maguin > >

Although I've not read the book Gene mentions, I will second his recommendation of Schafer & Graham generally. Here is list of articles I found helpful when I first started reading about missing data, including some by Schafer & Graham.

Acock, A. C. (2005). Working with missing values. Journal of Marriage and Family, 67, 1012-1028.

Donders, A. Rogier T., van der Heijden, Geert J.M.G., Stijnen, T., & Moons, K. G. M. (2006). Review: A gentle introduction to imputation of missing values. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 59, 1087-1091.

Multiple Imputation Online. http://www.multiple-imputation.com/

Schafer, J. L. (1999). Multiple imputation: A primer. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 8, 3-15.

Schafer, J. L., & Graham, J. W. (2002). Missing data: Our view of the state of the art. Psychological Methods, 7(2), 147-177.

HTH.

----- -- Bruce Weaver bweaver@lakeheadu.ca http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.