Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:12:14 +1000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gary Oliver <gary.oliver@SYDNEY.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Auto indent syntax option

Hi Art

I really like your idea of having a separate process to automate the indentation. I think that having it as an "optional extra" would allow it to be used as a useful visual check i.e. do the coding then run the pretty program and re-inspect the code. Your point about losing the colours is also germaine.

I hope SPSS is listening!

Warm regards/gary

________________________________ From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Art Kendall Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:40 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: + at beginning of syntax line

In 1971 DEC FORTRAN had a program called PRETTY that automated such indentation for vertical alignment. I like the visual improvement to the syntax editor but would like more, I have frequently suggested have a PRETTY program for SPSS syntax. It would include availability of casing (ALL UC, Leading Caps, all lc) for procedures/operators, options/op; conversion of symbolic operators to/from conventional operator especially to avoid the distinct uses of the equal sign; automated vertical alignment via indentation; vertical alignment of assignment operators; spaces either side of assignment operators; a font that made angle brackets, commas, periods, etc. very much more visually distinct;etc. (I went back and italicized features that were not there in 1971.)

These would help within SPSS and be retained (unlike the colors) when pasted into newsgroups, discussion list, and private emails for reviews or seeking/giving help.

Art Kendall Social Research Consultants