Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:42:56 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: Auto indent syntax option
Comments: To: Art@DrKendall.org
Comments: cc: David Marso <david.marso@GMAIL.COM>

At 10:28 AM 9/15/2010, Art Kendall wrote:

>David [Marso] is an extremely skilled programmer and seemingly still >finds the vertical alignment useful despite years of experience as >an expert programmer.

Goodness, it's the skilled programmers who DO do it. And go to various other lengths to make their code readable, like breaking statements at logical points into lines of reasonable length, and lining up corresponding clauses vertically. (Yeah, I'm compulsive about that. My code is far from compact, but I *think* it reads well.)

Back in the GOOD OLD DAYS, Real Programmers like Mel(1) gloried in understanding obscure code and obscure techniques that baffled everybody else. "His code was not easy for someone else to modify." It was fun, in its way, but once the code hit the limit even the Real Programmer could understand, nobody could either fix it or extend it.

Not to speak of a Real Programmer who'd been away from the code for six weeks. ============================= (1) http://www.cs.utah.edu/~elb/folklore/mel.html