Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:25:12 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Rick Oliver <oliverr@us.ibm.com>
Subject:      Re: Auto indent syntax option
Comments: To: Art@DrKendall.org

Auto-indentingis available in release 19. I just auto-indented the following in the Syntax Editor:

loop something. do if something. compute something. end if. end loop.

From: Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org> To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Date: 09/15/2010 02:58 PM Subject: Re: Auto indent syntax option Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

> I find the ability to visually detect the structural and logical flow of a > program to be an essential quality of well written code. So do I. The very point I was trying to get at. You said it more clearly. In FORTRAN 77 (why it was called that in 1971 since it worked in 1971 I have no idea), a programmer could use 1or more tabs to separate the statement number from the statement. If the programmer used too few or too many PRETTY would adjust the number of tabs. This was very helpful to the user to try to compare the logic (s)he wanted and what the machine interpreted the logic to be.

The computer world is very much more developed today. It should be trivial for SPSS to put that kind of feature in the editor. In the meanwhile, perhaps someone could write a PYTHON script to PRETTY the syntax. As you said VB.Net enforces it automatically. That clearly should be a proof of feasibility.

Art