Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:26:03 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         J McClure <mc006@pacbell.net>
Subject:      Solved 'collapse' data

Thanks! Your code worked. Jan

On 9/2/2010 10:13 AM, Marks, Jim wrote: > Can you post your aggregate syntax? > > Something like this should have worked: > > DATASET DECLARE sumfile. > AGGREGATE OUTFILE = sumfile /BREAK = diaggrp /cases = SUM (total). > DATASET ACTIVATE sumfile' > > > Jim Marks > Director, Market Research > x1616 > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > J McClure > Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:07 PM > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: 'collapse' data > > Hi, > I have data from a one month period of time in an emergency room. The > data is by diagnosis not by individuals (var is Dx). For each of > diagnosis of 58 diagnoses I have the number of times it was listed as > the diagnosis (var 'total') for 224 individuals admitted to the > emergency department for that month. Because the 'total' reflects > listing of a diagnosis as a primary or secondary one, the 'total' sums > to more than 224. I created a new variable (DxGrp) and assigned each of > the 58 diagnoses to one of the 7 diagnostic groups. I want to 'collapse' > the information such that I have 7 diagnostic groups and the number of > times that group was the primary or secondary diagnoses. > I tried aggregate but got the number of times each DxGrp was found in > the list of 58 diagnose. I considered count but I don't think I need to > sum values across variables. I also considered compute but can't figure > out how to write the syntax. > Any help appreciated. Jan > > Here is a sample of the data. > Dx POSTTRAUMATIC STRESS DIS total 55 DxGrp 5 > Dx DEPRESSIVE DISORDER NEC total 39 DxGrp 1 > Dx ALCOH DEP NEC/NOS-UNSPEC total 16 DxGrp 7 > Dx RECURR DEPR DISORDER-MOD total 14 DxGrp 1 > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD > >