Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:50:10 -0700
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Terjeson, Mark" <Mterjeson@RUSSELL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Tab character
Comments:   To: Joe Matise <snoopy369@gmail.com>

Hi Joe,

PS: Knowing your posts pretty well, I presume I was just making an assist in clarifying, due to most probably an after-lunch-momentary-synapse-collapse.

I think I heard your inner-thoughts do a Maxwell Smart agent 86 imitation of "Missed it by THAT much!" right after.

Thanks for letting me share in your fun. Have a great weekend.

:o)

Mark

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Terjeson, Mark Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 12:36 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Tab character

Hi Joe,

Here is one of those "learn something everyday" moments.

The "09"x or '09'x with the x modifier does resolve to a character string of one byte with a value specified when compiled, before the runtime sees it.

So, '09'x and "09"x and byte(9) are all the exact same result when compiled, a single character string with a byte value of 9.

Of course the hex value gets converted to decimal when the byte is created. e.g. '0D'x and byte(13) are the exact same thing as well.

The '09'x notation is to be treated as a single character string in your expressions, and the BYTE() function expects a number.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark Terjeson Investment Business Intelligence Investment Management & Research Russell Investments 253-439-2367

Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Joe Matise Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 12:16 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Tab character

"09"x is a hex number token (actually, 9)- not a character. Try BYTE('09'x) perhaps? Not sure about how that would interface with ODS PDF though.

-Joe