Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Oct 2010 07:43:26 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Pirritano, Matthew" <MPirritano@ochca.com>
Subject:      Re: incomplete merge

For the sake of completeness I have to claim temporary insanity. What I was trying to do was ill founded. What I was trying to do is impossible in spss. I suddenly saw the light Sunday night as I sat reading. Let me explain.

The full file looks like this:

Id Gender

1 M

2 M

3 M

4 F 5 F 6 F

The male file contains data for males on var1 thru var4.

And the female file contains data for females on var1 thru var4.

So what I was trying to do was bring in the data for males for var1 1 thru var4, and then bring in the data for females for var1 thru var4. But of course after the variables were brought in for males the same variables with the same names could not be brought in for females! Of course I could have renamed the female variables and then transferred the data to be in the same columns as the male data. But I didn't realize what I was doing.

Thanks for the help over weekend. I apologize for my obtuseness.

Thanks

Matt

Matthew Pirritano, Ph.D.

Research Analyst IV

Medical Services Initiative (MSI)

Orange County Health Care Agency

(714) 568-5648

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Art Kendall Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 4:44 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: incomplete merge

Just curious. How does survey monkey format the data it provides? Are there options that would make it unnecessary to go through EXCEL? csv, fixed columns, tab separated, pipe separated, etc.?

Art Kendall Social Research Consultants