Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:30:52 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Nat Wooding <nathani@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Saving the sub-means

Joe

That, too, is my understanding. When Summary was first introduced, I believe that it had the type statement while Means did not. This was so far back that Dr. Goodnight was talking about Procs at SUGI and I can recall his speaking of how the institute would see code consisting of a lot of successive Means steps that did summaries at various levels. Summary was intended to simply such code. Later, the two Procs were merged.

The 9.1.3 documentation for summary includes the page

The SUMMARY procedure provides data summarization tools that compute descriptive statistics for variables across all observations or within groups of observations. The SUMMARY procedure is very similar to the MEANS procedure; for full syntax details, see The MEANS Procedure. Except for the differences that are discussed here, all the PROC MEANS information also applies to PROC SUMMARY.

There are three pages of documentation for Summary and the only difference that I see is that by default, Summary does not provide printed output.

Nat

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Joe Matise Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:19 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Saving the sub-means

I think SUMMARY is identical to MEANS except in the default method of output (Dataset vs. screen), nowadays? Could be wrong.

-Joe