Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:51:08 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Arthur Tabachneck <art297@ROGERS.COM>
Subject:      Why doesn't the format hold?

It's probably just been too long of a day but, in running some code to test a possible response to another thread, I came across the following discrepancy that I don't understand.

Given this set of code:

data have ; input @1 var1 $1. @3 var2 $1. @5 var3 $1. @7 var4 $1. @9 var5 $1.; datalines; 1 2 3 Y 5 2 3 A N 6 3 4 5 7 8 9 0 1 ;

proc format; value $testnum ' ','0','1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9'='9' other='x'; run;

proc freq data=have; format var2 $testnum.; tables var2; run;

.. I end up with all missing values, which was definitely not what I expected. But, changing the 4th dataline to a non-missing value:

data have ; input @1 var1 $1. @3 var2 $1. @5 var3 $1. @7 var4 $1. @9 var5 $1.; datalines; 1 2 3 Y 5 2 3 A N 6 3 4 5 7 8 X 9 0 1 ;

proc freq data=have; format var2 $testnum.; tables var2; run;

.. I get the expected result. Have I simply been working too hard today, or is there something obvious that I've overlooked?

Art