Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:21:55 -0800
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Jack F. Hamilton" <jfh@STANFORDALUMNI.ORG>
Subject:   Re: $varying9. and strange input statement
Comments:   To: bbser2009 <bbser2009@GMAIL.COM>

The example you show below is straight out of the documentation:

<http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/getDoc/en/lrdict.hlp/a000193602.htm>

You should send email to support@sas.com asking them to improve the documentation if you don't think it's sufficient. I agree that the documentation is a bit murky, but working through the two examples should make it clear.

"input x 1." reads "3" from the input line and stores it as the number 3 in the variable X.

"name $varying9. x" reads the next portion of the input line into variable NAME. How much does it read? The number of characters specified in variable X. You just set the value of X to 3, so it reads 3 characters. If x equals 3, then "$varying9. x" reads 3 characters. If x equals 8, "$varying9. x" reads 8 characters.