Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2010, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:18:20 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Timing SAS runs

Dear SAS-L-ers,

> There is a handy dandy macro called logparse, there are lots of papers > on it. > > Here is one by SAS-L contributor Michael A. Raithel > > > http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/219-30.pdf > > > It takes a log file and extracts statistics for each step in the log. > > It can be wrapped in a macro to check multiple folders, output to > excel, sorted by > any ascending or descending elapsed or CPU time, and further evaluated > in > just about any way you see fit. > Michelle, thanks for the good word; I _LOVE_ seeing my name in bright lights:-)

Andrew, in addition to the great advice that Michelle posted, and that Suzanne, John, Chang, Mark, and Tom posted, I have an additional piece of information. If you are running your applications on z/OS, then you might consider instrumenting the SAS SMF Exit. That exit directs SAS programs to write PROC and DATA step statistics to records in your system's SMF files. After that, you can decomp those records using Merrill's MXG or CA-MICS or ask your friendly Systems Performance Analyst for an extract of the relevant tables from said performance packages. Information about the SAS SMF Exit can be found in the installation procedures for SAS under z/OS.

All, best of luck in all your SAS endeavors!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com