Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:28:16 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>
Subject:      Re: which test for trend?

Aline,

Maybe somebody else will understand better but I don't quite understand your data. Do you have seven annual samples where each sample has 10, 100, or 1000 records?

Or do you have one record for each year, like 2001: 18%; 2002: 22%; 2003 17%? Seven records total? I'm assuming you have an N or Ns somewhere because without that I don't think you can do much because you can't compute the standard error.

Gene Maguin

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of AB365 Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 4:02 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: which test for trend?

Hi I am afraid I have a pretty basic question, but I just can't seem to find an exact answer that I am happy with. It's the usual thing - which test to use? I have some antimicrobial resistance surveillance data (i.e. X% E. coli resistant to ampicillin) for 7 points of time (the month of February for 7 consecutive years), and I just want to test whether proportion resistance is increasing or not. From my (very rusty) statistics knowledge I would have tried a Chi-squared test for trend, however when I went to go and confirm for myself that this is the correct test to use .. I found myself more confused than ever.. Any help appreciated, apologies if this has been answered already Aline -- View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/which-test-for-trend-tp3341921 p3341921.html Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.