Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Feb 2011 21:08:07 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Rebecca Kerimbaev <rebecca.kerimbaev@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Johnson Ferry North CRNRA add-ons after Cochran Shoals

After Herb Wollner's Atlanta Audubon group left Cochran Shoals CRNRA, Peter Presperin and I drove over to the newly reopened Johnson Ferry North CRNRA Unit to continue birding until 2:15 p.m. Johnson Ferry North had apparently been closed to visitors from Feb. 15-21 due to construction work.

We saw most of the usual suspects, but happily were able to add 5 new species to our day's list that weren't observed earlier that morning at Cochran Shoals. Here are our add-ons listed in order of wow factor: sandhill crane barred owl hermit thrush red-tailed hawk brown thrasher

And the afternoon's complete list:

Location: Johnson Ferry North Unit of CRNRA Observation date: 2/26/11 Notes: didn't put much effort into waiting for sparrows to pop up this afternoon here. Number of species: 26

Mallard 2 Great Blue Heron 2 Red-tailed Hawk 2 Sandhill Crane X heard not seen behind trees Barred Owl 2 heard not seen, calling back and forth Red-bellied Woodpecker 2 Downy Woodpecker 3 Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 1 Eastern Phoebe 3 too many heard to be sure of # Blue Jay 2 Carolina Chickadee 5 too many heard to be sure of # Tufted Titmouse 5 too many heard to be sure of # White-breasted Nuthatch 3 too many heard to be sure of # Brown-headed Nuthatch 2 Carolina Wren 2 Golden-crowned Kinglet 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2 Eastern Bluebird 3 Hermit Thrush 1 got good looks American Robin 4 Brown Thrasher 1 Eastern Towhee 3 Song Sparrow 1 White-throated Sparrow 3 Northern Cardinal 2 too many heard to be sure of # Common Grackle 7 too many heard to be sure of #

Rebecca Kerimbaev Decatur, DeKalb Co., GA, USA

You must be a subscriber to post to GABO-L. Instructions for subscribing (and the guidelines) are found here: http://www.gos.org/gabo.html.  Please read the guidelines before posting.

Send regular postings to gabo-l@listserv.uga.edu