Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:14:54 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Nat Wooding <nathani@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: survey sample size

I seem to remember seeing or hearing of a SAS presentation on Proc Power. Have you checked the SI website and Lex Jansen's collection of papers?

Nat Wooding

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 6:07 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: survey sample size

> -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > William Shakespeare > Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 2:48 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: survey sample size > > Is there a way in SAS to compute survey sample size for complex > surveys? > I don't think that proc power will work because the errors are wrong. > If > this is not possible in SAS then what software will provide the correct > sample size estimates?

I am not aware of any software (which does not mean the isn't some), but if you have some estimate of the Design Effect for main analyses of interest (say from similar surveys or previous work), you may get a reasonable sample size estimate by running PROC POWER and multiplying the estimated sample size by the design effect.

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Planning, Performance, and Accountability Research and Data Analysis Division Olympia, WA 98504-5204