Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 26 Feb 2011 18:02:43 -0600
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Data _null_;" <iebupdte@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: MAX() function over character values

I worked on a project about 10 years ago and one of the many seemingly silly coding rules required the use of Mnemonic Operators. Now I use them exclusively because I have grown to like the way they look in my program. Since the introduction of the missing function I have mostly replaced GT .Z and NE ' ' with NOT MISSING().

Of course all this is quite irrelevant.

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Tom Abernathy <tom.abernathy@gmail.com> wrote: > Not only is the documentation confusing. So are the log messages. > If you code 'MAX' the log notes say '<>'. But if you code '<>' then the log > notes say 'not =' and you get different results. > > > 495 data x; > 496 set sashelp.class; > 497 where 3 <> 3; > NOTE: The "<>" operator is interpreted as "not equals". > 498 run; > > NOTE: There were 0 observations read from the data set SASHELP.CLASS. > WHERE 3 not = 3; > NOTE: The data set WORK.X has 0 observations and 5 variables. > NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): > real time 0.01 seconds > cpu time 0.01 seconds > > > 499 > 500 data x; > 501 set sashelp.class; > 502 where 3 max 3; > 503 run; > > NOTE: There were 19 observations read from the data set SASHELP.CLASS. > WHERE 3<>3; > NOTE: The data set WORK.X has 19 observations and 5 variables. > NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): > real time 0.01 seconds > cpu time 0.00 seconds > > > I never code <> or ><. Not only because of this but also because which means > min and which means max is not obvious to me. > > But now that haven't used an ASCII terminal connected to an IBM mainframe in > 15 years I have started to use '^=' in place of 'not =' or 'ne'. >