Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (February 2011, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:15:34 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jeff Kroll <jeffrey.kroll@US.ING.COM>
Subject:      MF to Linux Conversion advice sought

For the longest time we have been a mainframe shop running SAS 8.2 and SAS 9.1 on Z/OS. Our management has decided to move off the mainframe and go to a Linux environment. Several large Non-SAS apps have already been moved. We have a small number of SAS users, probably less than 20 regular users. Most of us have no experience running anything in the Linux environment. We have a mix of production and adhoc jobs on the MF as well as adhoc jobs we run in Windows PC SAS.

I would like to ask the user community if anyone has any experience doing this kind of migration and what, if any, issues we need to be aware of. Are any particular server types recommended? What would be a minimum server configuration? We have over 200 production jobs running on the mainframe and Im aware that at some point we would need to migrate all the MF data files to the Linux environment. Converting jobs from JCL to Linux scripts will be a major PITA. Are there any recommendation for doing this efficiently? Another issue I have questions about is where the data should be stored. It appears in our environment we will have several different SANS. Our jobs will need to be able to retrieve data from them. Is this possible? I envision having a standalone SAS server with several terabytes of storage. It should be possible, or so Im told, to FTP data from the SANS to our server. Im sure this would make processing faster than having to access data over the network.

Any other help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Finally, anyone know where I can buy antacids in bulk? I think Im gonna need them.

Jeff