Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Mar 2011 02:56:07 +0000
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ann Stewart <annhstewart@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Ref: Whooping Crane Shootings
Comments: To: "Stephen Stewart(home)" <stewarts94@comcast.net>

This is a little "off birds" but ties into the shootings of the Whooping Cranes in Alabama and Georgia.

I was researching on line about the Elk re-introduction in the Great Smoky Mountains N.P.  and learned that in November 2009 a Bull Elk was shot by a poacher in the Cataloochee Valley. This bull was an outstanding speciman and often seen around the Range Station. In July 2010 the poacher pled guilty and was sentenced to 150 days in jail, $8,384  fine. His rifle, which had been autographed by Richard Petty, was seized, he lost his hunters license for 2 years and was banned from the Great Smoky National Park and all National Parks for 2 years.

I don't know what you think - but I think he got off "way to light". The 2 year for loosing his license and banned from national parks was merely a slap on the hand.  Also the 150 days in jail probably ended up being less than half the days actually being served - I am sure a deal was worked out and he got out early for "good behavior" - I bet he didn't shoot a single elk while he was locked up. (good boy!!)

The point of this is that there are complete idiots everywhere and no matter whether it is our "beloved birds" or "beloved animals"  if someone wants to shoot them it doesn't matter whether their location is publized or not - if the idiots want to kill something they will find it one way or another no matter how protected it is. They don't care what it is - THEY JUST WANT TO SHOOT AND KILL SOMETHING SO THEY CAN BRAG ABOUT IT AND PROVE TO THEMSELVES JUST HOW GREAT AND WONDERFUL THEY ARE TO SHOOT THESE POOR(UNARMED) ANIMALS!!

Please pray that information will surface soon into the killing of our beloved Whooping Cranes and someone can be held responsible for their deaths.

Ann Stewart

Rome, Ga.

Floyd County

You must be a subscriber to post to GABO-L. Instructions for subscribing (and the guidelines) are found here: http://www.gos.org/gabo.html. Please read the guidelines before posting.