Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 6 Mar 2011 06:19:34 -0800
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Bruce Weaver <bruce.weaver@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: different values in a row

I don't have SPSS on this machine, so the following is untested, but I think it might work. You may need an EXECUTE after the loop.

numeric i1 to i4 (f1.0). /* 4 indicator variables. recode i1 to i4 (else=0). /* initialize to 0. vector v = v1 to v4 / i = i1 to i4. loop # = 1 to 4. - compute i(v(#)) = 1. /* value stored in v(#) flagged as present. end loop. compute unique_values = sum(i1 to i4).

drfg2008 wrote: > > Is there a command (or a syntax, or python program) that counts different > (numerical) values in a row. > > Example: > > > variables: V1 V2 V3 V4 > values row1: 1 2 3 4 > values row2: 1 1 1 1 > > row1 has 4 different values: 1-4 > row 2 has only one different value: 1 > > I tried to develop a python program but failed. Also couldn't find a > solution on raynald's. > > Thanks >

----- -- Bruce Weaver bweaver@lakeheadu.ca http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.