Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Mar 2011 13:02:59 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Justin Carroll <jrc.csus@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: list of python functions
Comments: To: drfg2008 <kontakt@datest.de>

Frank,

You can always open up an interactive session with Python (IDLE - which comes standard with the python distribution) and type the following (albeit combination based on your needs) python commands to "manually browse" (quick and dirty) any module.

import spss

dir(spss) # this looks quite messy sometimes, see the loop below for a cleaner example!

for i in dir(spss): print i

help(spss)

///// that will give you a list of all functions, classes, methods etc that exists in the spss module. Now you can take it a step further and type something like:

dir(spss.exists)

help(spss.exists)

and go deeper into the module. You can keep going in deeper by appending to the string with the new method/function/class or whatever it is you are trying to find. This method of course is a brute-force type exploration, but often can yield some new features that you may not be aware of. Most of them I believe do NOT have examples, but if you ask on the listserv someone will always answer you.

hth,

J. R. Carroll Researcher for Hurtz Labs Instructor at California State University, Sacramento Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics www.jrcresearch.net Cell: 916 628-4204 Email: jrcarroll@jrcresearch.net jrcarroll@hurtzlab.com jrc.csus@gmail.com

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM, drfg2008 <kontakt@datest.de> wrote:

> SPSS 17 / Vista > > > Does anyone know where to find a list of all Python functions (for ex.: > spss.GetVariableCount ...) with explanations (and if possible at least one > example). The "Programming and Data Management > for SPSSŪ Statistics 17.0" shows only a few examples. > > Thank you > Frank > > ----- > FUB > > -- > View this message in context: > http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/list-of-python-functions-tp3411704p3411704.html > Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com. > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD >

[text/html]