Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 May 2011 18:34:14 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Rich Ulrich <rich-ulrich@live.com>
Subject:      Re: Restructure Aggregated Data for t-test
Comments: To: bcohen@csc.csiu.org

I'm pretty sure that the what you *say* that you want is not nearly as useful as something that identifies the "initial grade" and then gives the year number. You want something that says explicitly which lines go together. To get that....

- Aggregate, to add variables for the minimum of Grade and Year (for the school) to each line.

Then you can subtract (and add 1) to get the Time = 1 or 2.

Then subtract (Time-1) from the Grade, to get the InitialGrade. (A similar computation can give you InitialAge, if your eventual design wants to look at that.)

- The cases you want to drop will then be missing data for either Time 1 or Time 2.

-You don't have data for "t-tests" which you mentioned unless you are ignoring the data for age and grade. If the data are available to estimate the "Within class" standard deviation, and the correlation between years for individuals, *then* you would have data for paired t-tests for individual classes.

The analyses of repeated measures could use "only complete data," as in the file that you are trying to create. That lets you look at changes. If you also are interested in Grade as an effect (which may or may not be wise), you probably could use the data that you are currently intending to drop.

-- Rich Ulrich ---------------------------------------- > Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 12:55:19 -0400 > From: bcohen@CSC.CSIU.ORG > Subject: Restructure Aggregated Data for t-test > To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > > All: > > I have pre-post data on from students without individual identifiers. I have > school, grade and year identifiers. I’m comparing levels of a bullying score > over time, using an age-cohorts analysis design. My data are in this format > (following an aggregation of the raw data by school-grade-year):

[snip, initial list of data, without "Time"] > > To perform the age cohort analysis, I need to compare for school A, grade 5 > in year 9 to grade 6 in year 10. Or, for school B, grade 3 in year 8 to > grade 4 and year 9, etc., for several schools in the dataset. > > To proceed, I’d like to get my data in this format to perform a statistical > test (t-test; anova): > > School Score Year Grade Time > A 2.12 9 3 1 > A 1.84 10 4 2 > A 1.75 9 4 1 > A 2.0 10 5 2 > B 2.19 8 3 1 > B 2.55 9 4 2 >