Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 May 2011 17:53:24 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Marta García-Granero <mgarciagranero@gmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Reading Date & Time from CSV File

Hi PAC:

I created (using Excel) a short CSV file with the following data:

id;mydate 1;04/01/2008 2;09/30/2010

(the two example dates you mentioned in your message) and read it into SPSS (15) using:

GET DATA /TYPE = TXT /FILE = 'C:\Documents and Settings\MartaGG\Escritorio\Datasample.csv' /DELCASE = LINE /DELIMITERS = ";" /ARRANGEMENT = DELIMITED /FIRSTCASE = 2 /IMPORTCASE = ALL /VARIABLES = id F1.0 mydate ADATE10. CACHE. EXECUTE.

And the dates were OK. Have you taken a look at your CSV file using a text editor?

HTH, MArta GG

El 05/05/2011 15:26, cumminpa escribió: > This is my first time posting, so I apologize in advance if the solution to > my problem is already posted; I looked and could not find it. My SPSS file > was created from a csv file with dates formatted at MM/DD/YYYY, but in SPSS > it comes ups as 5 digits ranging from 17623 to 18633. The dates should be > from about 04/01/2008 to 09/30/2010. I went to the SPSS website and the > posted suggestion was: > > COMPUTE NEWDATE = DATE.MDY(1,1,1900) +( (excdate - 2) * 24 * 60 * 60). > FORMATS NEWDATE (DATE14). > EXECUTE. > > where "excdate" is the current date variable. This did convert to the date > format, but it is about 60 years earlier that it should be (i.e., > 1948-1950). The SPSS suggested solution is for an excel file import and by > file was in csv. I don't know enough about imports to know if that could be > the problem. > > Any and all suggestions and help would be appreciated! > > PAC > > -- > View this message in context: http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/Reading-Date-Time-from-CSV-File-tp3381430p4372785.html > Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com. > > ===================== > To manage your subscription to SPSSX-L, send a message to > LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU (not to SPSSX-L), with no body text except the > command. To leave the list, send the command > SIGNOFF SPSSX-L > For a list of commands to manage subscriptions, send the command > INFO REFCARD >