Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2011 08:50:02 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <jfh@STANFORDALUMNI.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Truncation Warning in V9.2
Comments: To: Warren Schlechte <Warren.Schlechte@TPWD.STATE.TX.US>

There is a way to suppress this particular message, as Art pointed out, but to me that's not the correct solution.

I think the message itself is addressing a real problem, one that is brought up on SAS-L from time to time: MERGE statements sometimes don't work when input BY variables are of different lengths. There's also the secondary problem that non-BY variables might be accidentally truncated.

It's an all-or-nothing approach. What I would want is the ability to change the length of a single variable (or variables) without getting a warning message, while still allowing SAS to check the length of all the other variables that might be in the data set. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that without jumping through a lot of hoops - not in the data step itself, not by pre-processing the data set in a data step view, and not by pre-processing the data set in an SQL view. The only way that might work, and preserve variable order, would be to use the dictionary tables (or the data set header) to construct an SQL view.

Yeah, yeah, variable order shouldn't order. See about a thousand past questions here about how to preserve it. I still think my proposed VARORDER= data set option would be a good solution.