Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 1 Jun 2011 10:29:53 -0700
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Bruce Weaver <bruce.weaver@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Kappa w/ unequal score ranges in SPSS 19

The way to fix the non-square table problem is (or at least was) to use the integer mode for CROSSTABS. E.g., if there are 5 possible ratings (1-5), and r1 and r2 are the two raters:

CROSSTABS VARIABLES=r1 (1,5) r2 (1,5) /TABLES=r1 by r2 / stat = kappa.

I don't have v19 yet, so cannot comment on what it is doing. What does your CROSSTABS syntax look like?

HTH.

jnk7711 wrote: > > Hi all - > > I just upgraded to SPSS 19 and I went to run some syntax I wrote in SPSS > 18. In SPSS 18, I was unable to compute kappa when my raters had unequal > score ranges - that is, when the matrix for two raters was not > symmetrical. For example, if rater 1 used scores of 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 but > rater 2 only used scores of 2, 3, 4, and 5 then SPSS 18 would not compute > kappa. To compute kappa, I added in dummy variables to create a > symmetrical matrix. > > It appears that in SPSS 19 this is not needed. That is, it appears that in > version 19 unequal score ranges are no longer an issue, and SPSS will > automatically correct for a non-symmetrical matrix. > > I was hoping that someone else can confirm this for me - I have been > having trouble finding out whether or not this is the case. >

----- -- Bruce Weaver bweaver@lakeheadu.ca http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/

"When all else fails, RTFM."

NOTE: My Hotmail account is not monitored regularly. To send me an e-mail, please use the address shown above.