Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:38:26 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         John F Hall <johnfhall@orange.fr>
Subject:      Re: recode using multiple variables
Comments: To: pmulonge <p.mulongeni@namibia.pharmaccess.org>

Try something like:

Count ones = M H F G (1) . Freq ones .

Also have a look at the tutorials for COUNT and COMPUTE on my website

John F Hall

johnfhall@orange.fr www.surveyresearch.weebly.com

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of pmulonge Sent: 16 June 2011 13:46 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: recode using multiple variables

Hello all, I hope you can really help me with this seemingly simple thing, for I am at my wits end.

So I have four variables and I would like to add up all the cases that have value 1 for these variables. So did the following: RECODE M (1=1) (ELSE=SYSMIS) INTO ATL1.

RECODE H (1=2) (ELSE=SYSMIS) INTO ATL1.

RECODE F (1=3) (ELSE=SYSMIS) INTO ATL1.

RECODE G (1=4) (ELSE=SYSMIS) INTO ATL1.

Now when I run FREQ M H F G ATL1.

There is deeply disturbing outcome: The values 1 thru 4 in ATL1 do NOT add up to the sum M=1, H=1, F=1, G=1. In fact, I noticed that in ATL1 the number of cases for value 1 is less than the number of cases for M=1 (in the M freq table). This is also true for ATL1 values 2, 3, 4, they are just less than value 1 for H F and G respectively.

In essence, I just am loosing data when I try and sum the cases. Can anyone explain this to me or find an alternative syntax? I tried the syntax below, which gives the exact same disturbing result when I run the FREQs. COMPUTE NEW_VAR=ATL1D. IF (M=1) ATL1D=1. IF (H=1) ATL1D=1. IF (F=1) ATL1D=1. IF (G=1) ATL1D=1.

FREQ ATL1D.

P.S. Why am I doing all of this, well in the end I would like to find the union of the non-disjoint sets M H F G in my data and I have not been successfull thus far.