Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:35:09 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>
Subject:   Re: recode using multiple variables

Pancho,

It sounds like you want to determine how many cases have a value of 1 for any of the variables M, H, F, or G. Some of the cases may have a value 1 for just one of the four variables; other cases may have a 1 for two of the variables; and other cases may have a value of one for all of the four variables. If that is all you want to know, the solution is very simple. First, look at the documentation for the Count command.

The actual syntax is

Count ones=M H F G(1).

Gene Maguin

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of pmulonge Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:46 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: recode using multiple variables

Hello all, I hope you can really help me with this seemingly simple thing, for I am at my wits end.

So I have four variables and I would like to add up all the cases that have value 1 for these variables. So did the following: RECODE M (1=1) (ELSE=SYSMIS) INTO ATL1.

RECODE H (1=2) (ELSE=SYSMIS) INTO ATL1.

RECODE F (1=3) (ELSE=SYSMIS) INTO ATL1.

RECODE G (1=4) (ELSE=SYSMIS) INTO ATL1.

Now when I run FREQ M H F G ATL1.

There is deeply disturbing outcome: The values 1 thru 4 in ATL1 do NOT add up to the sum M=1, H=1, F=1, G=1. In fact, I noticed that in ATL1 the number of cases for value 1 is less than the number of cases for M=1 (in the M freq table). This is also true for ATL1 values 2, 3, 4, they are just less than value 1 for H F and G respectively.

In essence, I just am loosing data when I try and sum the cases. Can anyone explain this to me or find an alternative syntax? I tried the syntax below, which gives the exact same disturbing result when I run the FREQs. COMPUTE NEW_VAR=ATL1D. IF (M=1) ATL1D=1. IF (H=1) ATL1D=1. IF (F=1) ATL1D=1. IF (G=1) ATL1D=1.

FREQ ATL1D.

P.S. Why am I doing all of this, well in the end I would like to find the union of the non-disjoint sets M H F G in my data and I have not been successfull thus far.