Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:26:03 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jon K Peck <peck@us.ibm.com>
Subject:      Re: Generating random 'constants'
Comments: To: David Marso <david.marso@gmail.com>

I interpreted the request as asking for a column of constant values, so something like this would be required.

DO IF $casenum = 1. COMPUTE RV = rv.normal(0,1). END IF. LEAVE RV.

Jon Peck Senior Software Engineer, IBM peck@us.ibm.com new phone: 720-342-5621

From: David Marso <david.marso@gmail.com> To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Date: 06/08/2011 02:20 PM Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] Generating random 'constants' Sent by: "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

dk,

DO IF $CASENUM=1. COMPUTE #RV=NORMAL(0,.1). END IF. * If you want a permanent copy *. COMPUTE RV=#RV.

'-------- Note use of scratch variable. Read up on scratch variables.

-- drewk wrote: > > I'm attempting to generate random 'constant' variables. I mean random as > in randomly generated, and constant as in constant across all > observations. I intend this to be used as a multiplier of sorts which is > randomly generated when the syntax is run to introduce a little variation. > > For example, I have a probability for a certain event, and I am running > multiple 'trials' of this event and recording the outcome. For theoretical > reasons, I want to add or subtract a randomly generated value (something > like RV.Normal(0,.1)) from this probability for each observation. However, > just generating a variable such as: > > compute randomadjustment = RV.Normal(0,.1). > > will create a unique random number for each observation. However, I want > this adjustment to be constant across all observations. This way, every > time the syntax is run, every observation's probability has the same > random number added or subtracted from it. Is it possible to generate a > 'random constant variable'? > > I hope all of this makes sense. Thanks for any help, > -dk >

Sent from the SPSSX Discussion mailing list archive at Nabble.com.