Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:17:29 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Dawn Wiest <DWiest@mail.acponline.org>
Subject:      Re: String variable -  leading zeros
Comments: To: Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu>

Gene, you are correct: the variable was imported as a numeric variable. I applied the syntax ViAnn recommended and it worked beautifully. Thanks!

>>> Gene Maguin <emaguin@buffalo.edu> 6/17/2011 3:58 PM >>> Dawn,

Are you sure that ID remains a string variable once imported? The behavior you describe seems consistent with the import of a numeric variable or a string variable being converted to numeric in the import process.

Gene Maguin

If you need the leading zeroes than you must be doing a string compare since 12 and 012 are the same number. So you need to convert the number back to a string using the string function and specifying the N format for the number. string stringvar(a9). compute stringvar=string(numbervar, n9). From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Dawn Wiest Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 3:38 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: String variable - leading zeros

Hello – After importing data from a different program into SPSS, the leading zeros on a string variable that I use as a key variable across multiple data sets are lost. I need to recapture those leading zeros. This is an ID variable that should have nine digits. When the data are exported, only the non-zero digits remain so that, for example, ID 000022122 becomes 22122; ID 000000011 becomes 11; ID 077777777 becomes 77777777, and so on. Is there a way to replenish the leading zeros on this variable so that the total length of each of the resulting values is 9 digits? Thank you in advance for your help Dawn

Dawn Wiest, Ph.D. Senior Research Analyst Research Center - 7th Floor American College of Physicians 190 North Independence Mall West Philadelphia, PA 19106-1572

DWiest@mail.acponline.org (215) 351-2561

[text/html]